Be one of 11 students to win a $1,000 scholarship from HTC
Each year, the Highland Telephone Cooperative board of directors awards $1,000 scholarships to 11 area high school seniors.
The program is available to any high school senior with postsecondary education plans and who lives in Highland Telephone’s territory, including McCreary, Scott, Morgan, Campbell, and Anderson counties. A student is selected from each board district.
HOW IT WORKS
- 1 scholarship per Board Director in the amount of $1,000 will be awarded this year to a high school senior in that Director’s electorate.
- Any high school senior with post-secondary education plans may enter, if they have service with Highland Telephone, regardless of the school they attend. Relatives of employees and HTC Directors and relatives of HCC employees and HCC Directors are not eligible to enter.
- Any post-secondary education institution meet the requirements of the scholarship endowment.
- Entrants will submit for judging a 500-word, double-spaced essay on the topic of How Broadband Encourages Educational Opportunities and Economic Development in Rural Areas. Judging will be conducted by an impartial judge (teacher) from a school outside the said Director’s county of residence. Judges will be rotated throughout the school and between schools each year. Judges should not be acquainted with the students’ whose essays they are judging. Schools of the judges will receive a $500 contribution to be spent as the school deems appropriate.
- Recipients of the scholarship must present proof of enrollment and paid receipts of eligible incurred fees at the post-secondary institution of their choice to receive the scholarship. For liability reasons, funds will not be paid to the institution or any person or organization other than the recipient. The money must be used within 1 year of the award.
- All essays for entry must be received at the Sunbright office by 5 p.m., March 31, 2023.
- Recipients will be awarded the scholarships by April 15 each year, with the Manager of Highland Telephone and the principal of the recipient’s school at the presentation of the actual check, if possible
- HTC reserves the right to change rules, as necessary. All decisions are final.
DISCLAIMER: Relatives of Highland Telephone Cooperative employees and Highland Telephone Cooperative directors or relatives of Highland Communications Corporation employees and Highland Communications Corporation directors are not eligible to enter. Relatives of employees and HTC/HCC/HMC directors include spouses, brothers, sisters, parents, children, stepchildren, fathers-in-law, mothers-in-law, sons-in-law, daughters-in-law, nieces, nephews, grandparents, spouses’ grandparents, aunts or uncles.